Thursday, July 29, 2010

Basil Walnut Pesto

Yesterday I made three batches of this recipe using fresh basil leaves from my garden. I froze most of it to use later this winter with pasta and chicken.  It is very good on tomatoes, whole wheat crackers, and pizza crust (instead of pizza sauce).  Traditionally pesto is made with pine nuts, but I make it with walnuts because they are much more economical, and just as good!  

Basil Walnut Pesto
2 cups packed basil leaves (about 2 ounces)
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup walnuts (I heap the cup for a little extra)
3 garlic cloves, smashed
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese

Place basil leaves, olive oil, and salt in food processor.  Pulse until leaves have been chopped up.


Add walnuts and garlic cloves.  Blend until walnuts are well chopped. 

Add parmesan cheese and blend for 5-10 seconds until blended.  

Serve on tomatoes, crackers, pasta, or anything you please!
Each batch serves about 8.  I usually use half a recipe with one pound of cooked pasta.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Yum! I can taste it :) My basil is coming nicely in the garden, finally! Mom

    ReplyDelete