Thursday, January 20, 2011

Home Made Body Lotion Recipes

These are some lotion recipes I whipped up this winter and gave away as gifts.  This was my first experience with making lotion, but I think it went pretty well.  Homemade lotion is economical and is healthier for you than store bought lotions because they don't contain any chemicals. Home made lotions are practically edible! The first lotion I made was with almond oil.  It smells really yummy- just like almond frosting or almond cookies!  

Almond Body Frosting (Lotion)
1/4 teaspoon borax powder
1/2 cup water
1 cup almond oil
2 Tablespoons grated beeswax
1 teaspoon almond extract 


In a small heat resistant container, dissolve the borax in the water.  You can find Borax in any grocery store next to the laundry detergent.  In a second heat resistant container combine the oil and the grated beeswax.  I ordered my oil and beeswax online here.


Put the oil and beeswax in the microwave for 2 minutes, or until the wax has melted.  


Put the water and borax mixture in the microwave for 1 minute, or until just under boiling temperature.  Your goal is to get the water and the oil to approximately the same temperature before combining them.  


Next pour the borax water in the blender and turn it on.  Then while the blender is running, add the oil in a slow steady stream.  


Blend on high for about 2 minutes.  It will look white and thick.  If it is still really runny, just let it cool off for 5 minutes or so and then try blending it a little more.  As it cools it will get thicker.  


Blend in the almond extract and pour into containers with lids.  This recipe makes enough lotion to fill 3- 4 ounce bottles.  


The first time I made this recipe the lotion was still runny a few days later.   I put it back into the blender and it got really thick and creamy right away.  When you use this lotion it will give your skin a soft sheen that will soak in within a few minutes leaving your skin nice and soft.  



Here is another recipe for making body lotion using sunflower oil.  

Helianthus Body Lotion
1/4 teaspoon borax powder
1 cup water
1 cup sunflower oil
1 Tablespoon grated beeswax
essential oils (optional)


Combine borax with water in one heat resistant container and combine oil and wax in another heat resistant container.  Heat the oil for 2 minutes in the microwave (until the wax is melted) and heat the water in the microwave for 1 minute (just under boiling temperature).


Turn on the blender and pour in the hot water mixture.  While the blender is running add the oil in a thin steady stream.  


Let the lotion whip for 2 minutes until it is thick and creamy.  If it does not thicken up immediately, let it cool down for a while and whip it up some more. 


Don't forget to add some of your favorite essential oils.  I added 5 drops of lavender and 10 drops of rosemary oil to mine.  Then put it in a bottle and tie a pretty bow in it.  :)  This recipe makes enough lotion to fill 4- 4 ounce bottles.  



The greenish looking bottles are filled with massage oil.  Here's how I made mine:

Fill the bottle with Grape Seed Oil (found in the cooking oil section of the grocery store) and add 15 to 30 drops of your essential oil of choice.  This would also work wonderfully with sweet almond oil or any other light oil.  

One last lotion recipe I made using Grape Seed Oil:

Grape Seed Oil Lotion
1/4 teaspoon borax powder
1/2 cup water
1 cup grape seed oil
2 Tablespoons grated beeswax
essential oils (optional)

Mix the borax and water.  Mix the oil and beeswax.  Heat the oil in the microwave for 2 minutes until the beeswax is melted.  Heat the water in the microwave for 1 minute until hot, but not boiling.  Pour the water into the blender and while it is on high, add the hot oil in a steady stream.  Blend for 2 minutes until thick and creamy, allowing to cool if necessary.  Add  the essential oils and put in a bottle with a cover.  

I used 10 drops of eucalyptus essential oil and 5 drops of peppermint essential oil in mine.  This recipe makes enough to fill 3- 4 ounce bottles.  



I hope you have as much fun as I did with these recipes.  If you've made lotion before, I'd love to hear from you and maybe even get some pointers or new recipes to try!

10 comments:

  1. I made some lotion a few years ago, not at all this involved, but I found it got rancid after a few months. May have to try this one. Mine didn't have the borax or beeswax. Next I want to try & make soap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good idea! I'd also like to try making soap. Have you made soap yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes,I've made soap! You can see my blog entry about it:
    http://wildfernacres.blogspot.com/2010/02/olive-oil-soap-with-milk-and-honey.html
    I would recommend adding essential oils to it so it smelled good, but I didn't have any at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have thought about making lotion for a while, so this is a great post! I'll have to try it! Thanks for all your fun posts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sarah,
    I made your almond lotion recipe. I like it! Thank you for sharing.
    Stephanie Hellwig
    www.akidos5.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for trying my recipe- glad you liked it :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sarah..fun to run into your blog..your mom is my 2nd cousin! You are so talented!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's my first time to try beewax-borax emulsifier. It turns out nice. Thanks for sharing your recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is perfect! I've been looking for a lotion recipe that doesn't use emulsifying wax! Can't wait to try this and go read your post on your soap! I just made my first batch of olive oil soap, so want to see your recipe! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete