Thursday, May 27, 2010

Fresh Bread in Five Minutes a Day

Several months ago I was reading through my Mother Earth News magazine and I came across an article on how to make healthy whole grain bread in less than 5 minutes a day.  It doesn't involve any waiting for the yeast to rise or kneading the bread, so it sounded like a good (easy) idea to me.  The first recipe I made was the 10 grain bread from the magazine article.  You just mix the dry ingredients together (which includes Bob's Red Mill 10-grain hot cereal), add the water, and let it sit on the counter for 2 hours.  Then you put it in the fridge overnight.  The next day you take out part of the dough (there is enough for four loaves) and then let it rise for 90 minuets.  Then you put it in the oven and before you know it you have fresh bread (for 4 days)!  
The bread was great with soup.  It was a bit heavier than I am used to, but definitely good. 
This recipe was originally printed in the book called Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day, the second book by Jeff Hertzberg and Zoe Francois. 

I then decided I was interested in learning more about this bread making technique, so I ordered their first book called Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day from the interlibrary loan program (I don't live anywhere near a bookstore!). I tried the most basic recipe, a artisan free form loaf made with white flour.  It was SO easy (and I've never made bread before), plus it was really tasty, especially right out of the oven. 


See how it is done here: 
(Have a pen ready to write down the recipe!)



Oh, and the cool thing is- they are even from Minnesota :D


1 comment:

  1. Wow...you did a wonderful presentation! I really should try making it...instead of waiting for someone to serve it to me. And yes, it is good!

    ReplyDelete