Thursday, February 25, 2010

Spinning on a Walking Wheel

Carding wool on hand cards in preparation for spinning.
Spinning on a walking wheel (also known as a great wheel). 

These pictures were taken at my parents house.  They have a great wheel they found at a local auction sitting in their living room.  

I didn't have anything to do, so I decided to give it a whirl.  It took me awhile to figure out exactly how to use it right, but it was fun!  I watched some YouTube videos which helped with my technique as I have never actually ever seen anyone spin on one. The last time I used it I was still living at home and there was no such thing as YouTube!  



I recently inherited a great wheel from my great-great-great grandmother on my dad's side of the family.  It has a few pieces missing, but I am hoping to get it put back together enough so I can spin with it sometime soon. 



Here she is- isn't that neat?!

2 comments: