Tuesday, February 16, 2010

My Tall Colorful Socks


I bought a great book called The Twisted Sisters Sock Workbook by Lynne Vogel.  
It is about dying your own wool and then spinning it into yarn and designing your own socks. Here are a few pictures of the process.  

First I hand painted some wool roving in a rainbow of colors. 
Then I carded the wool being careful not to blend the colors too much.  
I also carded in some Angora Rabbit hair for softness.  

Then I spun up some yarn.  
As you can see I had some good looking help :)
This is the finished yarn.  
This picture doesn't do the colors justice!
I started knitting at the toe and kept knitting until I ran out of yarn!
I think they turned out pretty good- colorful and warm!
It actually took me 9 months from the start to finish of this project because 
of moving to a new home and having a young child to keep track of!

No comments:

Post a Comment